by Aisha Madhi, Teacher, School District of Philadelphia, Constitution High School
Instructions: Read your selected poem by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper and complete the poetry analysis below.
- What is the action in the poem (what is happening)? Summarize the poem in your own words.
- Write one line from the poem that you think shows the theme or conflict of the poem.
- What images does Harper create in the poem? List two examples of imagery.
- What is your favorite line from the poem? Write it below.
- What is the tone, or mood, (cheerful, sad, serious, etc.) of the poem? Does it change from the beginning to the end?
- What do you think is the message of this poem? How does this relate to the social issues of the time in which it was written?
- Based on this poem, why do you think Frances E.W. Harper was one of the most respected writers of the 19th century?