The Female Medical College of Pennsylvania
The Female Medical College of Pennsylvania was founded in 1850 by the Quakers. In 1867, it became the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania and was the first American medical school for women, which educated more black and Native American female doctors than any other predominantly white medical college in nineteenth century America. Rebecca Cole was the first black graduate of Woman's Medical College to be awarded an MD in 1867. In 1878, Caroline Still Anderson and Giorgianna E. Patterson Young were the next black graduates awarded medical degrees by the school. From 1970 through 1995, Woman's Medical College was known as the Medical College of Pennsylvania, and in 2002, it became Drexel University College of Medicine.
by Aslaku Berhanu
Peitzman, Steven J. A New and Untried Course; Woman’s Medical College and Medical College of Pennsylvania, 1850-1998. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University press, 2000.