The Pennsylvania Female Anti-Slavery Society
A bi-racial group of women who organized around issues of justice under the leadership of abolitionist Lucretia Mott (1793-1880) in 1833.
Former Office Address: 107 North 5th Street
(See place marker no. 17 on map)
Quaker abolitionist Lucretia Mott organized this group of 60 black and white women dedicated to the elimination of slavery on December 9, 1833. African-American members included Sarah Douglass, as well as James Forten's three daughters, Sarah, Harriet, and Margarette.
(From: Blockson, Charles L. Philadelphia's Guide: African-American State Historical Markers. Philadelphia: Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection / William Penn Foundation, 1992.)