Philadelphia Knights of Pythias
Former Address: 19th and Addison Streets
(See place marker no. 16 on map)
This prestigious organization was created in 1907 and paid death benefits to members through a mortuary department. Membership increased under the leadership of Grand Chancellor B.G. Collier. Prominent supporters included James H. Irvin and Dr. John P. Turner.
(From: Blockson, Charles L. Philadelphia's Guide: African-American State Historical Markers. Philadelphia: Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection / William Penn Foundation, 1992.)