The Seventh Ward
W.E.B. DuBois conducted his pioneering study, The Philadelphia Negro, in the Seventh Ward, bounded by Spruce Street on the north, South Street on the south, Sixth Street on the east, and Twenty-Third Street on the west. The Seventh Ward contained the largest population of Blacks in the city of Philadelphia.
To view the Seventh Ward in 1899 and 1901, along with markers detailing the locations of prominent African-Americans and African-American institutions, please see the Maps page.