Current Address: 762 S. Broad Street
The Revered Charles Albert Tindley founded this church in 1902 as the East Calvary Methodist Church; it was later renamed in his honor. The Reverend Tindley was born a slave in Berlin, Maryland, and worked as a hod carrier and brick mason before coming to Philadelphiain 1870 to study for the ministry. He became known as a composer of gospel songs and was instrumental in helping migrants from the South who had settled in Philadelphia. This tradition survives today, as Tindley Temple continues to provide free meals and clothing to the needy.
(From: Blockson, Charles L. Philadelphia's Guide: African-American State Historical Markers. Philadelphia: Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection / William Penn Foundation, 1992.)